News Update :

Movie Review: IRON MAN Starring Robert Downey Jr

Monday 1 August 2011

It was one of those Saturday nights at the weekend where you really can't be bothered to do anything, not even move from the sofa in order to switch on your DVD player.  That's very lazy I know but I checked out the film schedule on TV for the night and noticed Iron Man was on, decision made I hadn't seen it before and thought I might as well give it a go.

Starring: Robert Downey Jr, Gwyneth Paltrow, Terence Howard and Jeff Bridges

The Plot

Tom Stark (Robert Downey Jr) is the ultimate playboy, taking over the family business Stark Industries from his father he is a engineering and mathematical genius.  A new weapon he has devised sees him on a trip to Afghanistan in order to demonstrate it to the US Army, things go wrong and Stark is captured by terrorists who want him to build them a missile in exchange for his life.  Whilst there he gets an insight into the legacy his company have created with their weapons falling into the wrong hands.  Rather than build a missile he decides he will build an armoured suit in order to escape his captors and return to America where he announces the company will cease to make weapons and concentrates on building another suit only to find his business partner Obadiah Stane (Jeff Bridges) has been selling weapons to the insurgents and now wants a piece of the suit action for himself.

The Verdict

Where do I start really, I thought this movie was great and now I find myself really looking forward to seeing the second movie in the franchise.  For me this is a better superhero franchise than Spider-Man, although I will give you that Gwyneth Paltrow who plays Pepper Potts is not quite as hot as Kirsten Dunst but that's besides the point.  From start to finish this movie has you, plenty of action and plenty of laughter.

This is all helped along of course by the supreme casting of Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark or Iron Man, you believe every bit that he is in fact that good at mathematics and could probably solve any problem in front of him.  Finding his playboy lifestyle thrown into disarray by his capture still doesn't dampen his spirits though and when requested to build a missile for them he and his cell mate Yinsen (Shaun Toub) decide upon an armoured suit, ok that bit is a little far fetched. The fact he could design and build an armoured suit that big in an Afghanistan cave and the fact that they never even noticed he was doing it but, without that side of the story then there would be no need for Tony Stark to have ever changed his lifestyle.  And the fact he can fly all the way to Afghanistan from America in a suit may be a bit over the top but, who cares?

Downey Jr's comic timing is also second to none as you would expect, I think the first movie I noticed he was so funny was Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang (a great movie if you haven't seen it) and he doesn't let you down in Iron Man either, I'm no fan of comic books I don't think I 've ever read one but this movie spin off may be the best one I have seen.  The story itself is predictable, from the moment we meet Pepper Potts is obvious what's going to happen, from the minute you meet Obadiah Stane you know what is going to happen and being a superhero movie, the minute Stark puts on the suit you know there is only going to be one outcome.  If you have not seen this movie then if definitely gets my approval I would say go see it.

Would I watch it again?

Absolutely without a doubt, I will watch this movie again, it's the perfect Saturday night no brainier that provides you with plenty of entertainment.

Rating: MMMM

Now as I do with movie reviews, I provide you with the details of the movie soundtrack and the video of my favourite song of the movie, so here goes.  The and the best song in the movie has to be AC/DC's Back In Black, enjoy the video below.

Share this Article on :
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

© Copyright Movies Music & Television 2010 -2011 | Design by Herdiansyah Hamzah | Published by Borneo Templates | Powered by Blogger.com.