News Update :

TV Review: GAME OF THRONES - The North Remembers 2.1

Thursday 5 April 2012

If you caught my post yesterday, telling you I’d be back today then you’ll know that I took in the season 2 premiere of Game of Thrones the other night.  I didn’t watch the first season of the show but have heard some pretty impressive things regarding it, firstly I could see straight away that those things I heard were very correct, this does seem to be a very good show. I suppose I gave Game of Thrones a miss as I’m not normally into medieval fantasy type things, but this definitely got my interest enough to start watching weekly. Please feel free to fill me in on the gaps, as I said I didn’t see the first one so I may have picked some stuff up wrong.

I’ll start with this boy-King Joffrey (Jack Gleeson), a young man who’s face I’m sure I wouldn’t tire of punching, the phrase arrogant little "bastard" comes to mind. I suppose they done a great job in casting, as he isn’t supposed to be a likable character, you could say he pulls that off rather well. I take it from the roundup of the first season that I watched Sean Bean’s character Eddard Stark was the actual King of the Throne until they chopped off his head, his family have been overthrown by this boy-King and now Eddard Stark's son Robb (Richard Madden), the King of the North is going to fight in order to retain his rightful Throne.

I’m still figuring out who this girl Daenery (Emilia Clarke) is wandering across the red wasteland with the dragon on her shoulder, has she been banished there for some reason or another?

As with everyone else I way mightily impressed with the performance of Peter Dinklage as Tyroin Lannister, before this I didn’t really know to much about him but from the moment he appeared on screen it was obvious that he owned it. Could someone explain to me who he is and how he gets away with speaking to King Joffrey like he does? After all the little prick almost ordered someone to their death for showing up to a fight drunk. Is he like the Spartacus of Medieval times, and no one would dare question his judgement? Not only does Dinklage put in a powerful performance, he is also very funny, the scene with his sister Cersei Lannister (Oh, I just watched the episode again and figured that Tyroin is actually the Kings uncle, well sort of.) in particular got my attention and although I wasn’t up with everything they were talking about I still found myself raising a smile.

Also starring in the hit HBO drama is Richard Madden who I knew I recognised, but it took me a little time to figure it out, probably due to the fact that his role is so different here than it was when I reviewed British cult hit comedy Sirens last year, this guy really can hold his own on the screen and his variation in roles shows that. I was also impressed by the fact that the HBO show has and almost entirely British, Irish and Scottish cast, normally with American shows they go for their own stars, which really does say a lot for British acting considering that Game of Thrones has been such a big hit on both sides of the Atlantic.

I was really impressed with this season 2 premiere and I can’t wait to see some more, things which right now don’t make that much sense will pan out I’m sure and I’ll get to grips with things pretty quick. I’ll add the show to the weekly previews and I can’t wait for the next episode.
Share this Article on :
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

© Copyright Movies Music & Television 2010 -2011 | Design by Herdiansyah Hamzah | Published by Borneo Templates | Powered by Blogger.com.