News Update :

TV Review: ARROW - Pilot 1.1

Tuesday 16 October 2012

Having never even read a comic book in my life would it be ok of me to go and say that Arrow is one of the most kick ass shows I have seen? Honestly, as far as “Pilot” episodes go this one really got me, right from the off I was thinking, this is just like watching a movie, would it work better as one? I’m not sure it would when you see Oliver Queen’s little note book. Arrow premiered on America’s CW network and will be coming to UK TV later in the year, back in August Arrow featured on my Fall TV show preview, it actually just managed a little mention at the bottom below Vegas and Last Resort, turns out it’s better than both of those and I think I may have found a new show to add to my weekly reviews.

Arrow follows the story of Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell), the son of a billionaire who has been missing and presumed dead for the last five years, that is until one day when he is discovered on a deserted island and brought home to a hero’s welcome. However, Oliver is not the billionaire playboy he was when he left all that time ago, he is now clearly in love with Laurel Lance (Katie Cassidy), the girl who’s sister he was sleeping with on the boat before the storm. Oliver’s time on the island hasn’t been fully explained as yet but some “bad stuff” happened to him whilst he was there, his father left him a mission, a list of names for the people who had wronged Starling City and he needed to kill. Returning to America there are a couple of interested parties, including his own mother who want to know what he was told by his father, thing is he can never reveal his secret and that’s why he must maintain in appearance his playboy lifestyle and keep Laurel at arms length, at least for now anyway.

I really think if Arrow is worked right the CW could have themselves a little runaway hit on their hands. I know we have only seen the “Pilot” so far but Arrow is showing some real promise for me and I thought it was great. The characters are good and there is enough mystery to keep me going for now, what I especially liked were the flashbacks to Oliver’s time on the island as the story develops week on week it would be nice to see them tell that story as well as the one which we are seeing in the present day. With shows like Arrow there is always a question as to whether it would serve better as a movie instead of weekly TV format, I think Arrow could work as a movie (haven’t read the comic remember!) but there are a lot of people to get through in that space of time and for that reason I think weekly TV will serve this better. What will also be interesting to see, is if they can make Arrow last for more than one season, but again people who know comics may know more about characters than I do.

I think what I loved most about this was all of the comparisons to Batman, or The Dark Knight, whatever you want to call him. A billionaire who is pissed at greed and corruption from people in power, and he has decided that he is going to do something about it, sounds familiar! So, yeah the backing story of why Oliver wants to do what he does is the same but so is the main story, yes he is a superhero, but if you remember me and Ruben (the main commenter on this site) had a conversation in The Dark Knight movie review that the reason Batman is so good is because he does not have any real super power, he is just a very tough guy who can kick major ass when required.

I’ll mention it for the ladies but one thing Arrow has that Batman does not are the sickest abs I have ever seen, I gotta get me some of those, and when I learn to do pull ups like Stephen Amell, maybe I will get a part in a TV show. I think even Gerard Butler would be looking at those abs and saying “Man, I gotta get back the gym”. Oilver is also pretty handy with a bow and arrow, and again like Batman his kit is really high tech, he has the office space and now just needs a car, if I could give him any advice it would be buy a McLaren Mercedes like his best friend has, because that car is almost as kick ass as he is.

Finally, if you hadn’t guessed already I really enjoyed Arrow and I’m really looking forward to seeing how it pans out, sure parts were cliché but I can over look that because the story so far both modern day and flashbacks have me interested. How about you? What did you think of Arrow? Your thoughts and comments are welcome as always.  

Side Notes;

If the CW wanted to use me as a body double for Stephen Amell, then they should have just asked.

How HOT are Thea Queen (Willa Holland) and Laurel Lance (Katie Cassidy)?

If you have had no lady action in the last five years then that roughly equates to 1839 days, according to Tommy Merlyn (Colin Donnell)
Share this Article on :
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

© Copyright Movies Music & Television 2010 -2011 | Design by Herdiansyah Hamzah | Published by Borneo Templates | Powered by Blogger.com.